Above: My mom and dad, and me in Karuizawa.
I was so blessed to spend this Christmas 2010 with my family and friends in Japan!
Above: the group arrives in Tokyo and make our way to Karuizawa! (Ruthie, Sam, Tyler, Dustin, Ben, Essie, and Melissa)
Above: Essie and Abby in front of volcano Asama.
Above: Sam is the designated driver?!? (>_0)
Above: girls day out in old downtown Karuizawa.
Upon arrival in Tokyo, I met up with Sam, Essie, my childhood friend Melissa McCleod (who also grew up in Japan), and friends from USA (Dustin Huber, Ben Gerber, Tyler Knochel) at the airport. We all traveled together up to Karuizawa, where we spent a few days with most of the rest of my family (Mom, Dad, Abby, minus Joe who had to stay in Toyama for work) enjoying the mountains, and while we were at it, we did a little Messiah Manga etc. literature distribution and caroling, all dressed up as Santa and the elves. It was fun!
Above: friends at Shinminato Kirisuto Kyokai (my Church)
Above: Mei and Ruthie at the fish market in Kanazawa.
Above: December JAM night at Kureha church.
Above: Ruthie and Melissa on the old samurai-era castle grounds in Kanazawa city.
For Christmas Eve, we came back to my hometown, Shinminato in Toyama prefecture. It was so good to have the family all together for Christmas, and to meet up with dear old friends there. Everyone was really supportive and encouraging of the work in Nepal. It was great to have such enthusiasm and interest as I explained about Studio TEN’s work in Nepal. Thanks so much for your encouragement, everyone! I know I am very blessed in my life. Thank you for being God’s blessings to me.
Above: TEAM girls retreat in Karuizawa.After Christmas, I had a wonderful and special reunion with a bunch of girls who I grew up with in Japan. April Mack (Selander), Amy Nielsen, Bethany Travis, Alecia May, and Melissa McCleod, all used to spend time together with me up in Karuizawa in the summers. We’ve all been going our separate ways and living far away from each other for several years, but it sure is interesting how life sometimes seems to swing back full circle. After all our very different adventures, we are now all working as teachers in Asian countries! And all happened to be in Japan for Christmas, 2010! We re-lived many memories and did lots of catching up on our “Girls’ Reunion.” Hopefully, there will be many more of those in the future!
Above: snowboarding on the Japanese alps!
I think I gained a lot of weight in Japan this winter. ;-P The food was too good. And I enjoyed too many wonderful parties and wonderful times with wonderful people. It’s hard to believe the time here is already almost over! As I write this note, it is Sunday night. I just said my final goodbyes to my dear church family at Shinminato Christian church. Now, I am in the car with my parents and my sisters, on the way to Tokyo. We will spend Monday there, and on Tuesday, I fly to USA.
Hi,Ruth!!it's machiko.
ReplyDeleteI miss you already...I pray for your mission and life!I hope that we will meet on next year in Toyama!Take care.
Bless you